Our approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test was to firstly to ensure we selected a fair range of pages that included a representative sample including all functionality across the site.
The pages selected for the basic accessibility checks for the Suffolk Observatory website included those that contained:
- All types of content (such as text, video, images);
- Interactive tools (such as forms);
- Functionality (such as login features);
- Navigation (such as menus and search);
- Legal information
The basic checks include compliance to international WCAG 2.1 AA standard, and encompassed the following main assessment areas:
- Text content
- Images, video and audio content
- Interactive tools and transactions
- PDFs and other documents
- HTML checks
We used a range of methods to test the sample pages, which included third party assessment tools, online applications and manual assessment.
From the initial testing, a planned programme of improvements was developed and actioned, and there is an ongoing annual review process planned.